Benefits of Doggie Day Camp (DDC)
- Socialization: A well-socialized dog is happier and more confident. Lack of socialization may lead to unwanted behavior such as barking, fear of new people or situations, and aggression.
- Small play groups: These groups are supervised at all times by our attentive Counselors and put together depending on size, age, and personality.
- Exercise: A tired dog is a good dog. A dog with pent up energy will find a way to wear it off. Unfortunately, it is rarely in a good way. If you are seeing digging, barking, chewing, and other destructive behavior, your dog may need more exercise.
- Hours of fun: Your dog will play with other friendly dogs instead of spending hours alone while the family is at work or school.
Doggie Day Camp
All dogs must successfully pass our temperament evaluation. We reserve the right to refuse admission for any reason.
All dogs must be up to date with the following services:
- Annual distemper complex
- Annual Bordetella vaccine
- Annual Canine Influenza Vaccine*
- Rabies vaccine (for all dogs over 4 months of age)
- Annual fecal with negative results (no ova or parasites seen)
- If 6 months or older, must be spayed/neutered
- All dogs must be on flea/tick/lice and heartworm/roundworm/hookworm preventative and must be parasite free. If your pet is found to have fleas/ticks/worms, they will be taken out of camp and treated at your expense.
* Canine influenza, or dog flu, is a highly contagious viral infection affecting dogs as well as cats. There are two known strains, H3N8 and H3N2, neither of which are known to be passed from pet to person. While it is not required by the state like the rabies vaccine, due to the highly contagious nature of CI and how closely our patients and clients interact, our clinic requires the vaccine for any services provided, including grooming, day camp, and boarding.
Before your dog's Evaluation Day, please provide written proof from your veterinarian. (You may have your veterinarian fax records to 414-425-4762.) Include all of the above requirements, if you are not a client at Forest Home Animal Clinic.
All dogs must be in good health—no coughing, limping, diarrhea, et cetera—and not have been ill with a communicable condition in the last 30 days. Dogs experiencing diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, limping, or are recovering from a procedure or illness within the last 24 hours are asked to stay home.
All dogs must have an understanding of basic manners; sit, stay, wait, etc.
All dogs must be non-aggressive and not food or toy protective. Owner must certify their dog(s) have not shown any aggressive or threatening behavior towards any person or dog, or harmed any person or dog. The dog must be people and dog friendly.
Doggie Day Camp is available Monday through Friday, from 6 AM to 6 PM. If you need a later pick up, we can provide that service up to 6:30 PM with prior notice. Please call the clinic if you run into traffic or bad weather. If your pet is not picked up by 6:30 PM, he/she will be moved to an appropriate accommodation overnight, at your expense.
We prefer that your dog attend Doggie Day Camp at least one day a week, if possible on the same day(s) each week. This is because your dog will have to be reintroduced to the group if he/she does not attend on a regular basis. There may be a charge for a second evaluation.
Groups are generally different each day, so your dog may have to be introduced to these dogs. Usually, it is not a problem. Some days are more active, and some days are more tranquil. We will recommend the day(s) that we feel your dog will be most comfortable. If you do want to come on a different day, please give us a call, so we can prepare groups & staff accordingly.
To plan adequate staff, please call 24 hours ahead of your preferred camp day.
All dogs must wear a collar during camp hours.
We have a three-strike system. If your dog bites another dog or a counselor, or if they instigate a fight with another dog, the incident will be noted & kept in their clinic file. If he/she has three separate incidents, he/she will be removed from camp. If your dog draws blood, he/she will be removed immediately.
If your dog habitually exhibits overly rambunctious behavior that is not corrected with a time out or spray bottle, he/she will be removed from camp. We strive to maintain control over our campers, & if removing a dog positively affects the overall mood of the group, we will put them in a boarding kennel for the rest of the day, we will then assess if they may be better off attending on a different day or in another group. We will discuss these options with you. Understand that FHAC DDC staff are neither trainers nor behaviorists, but we do our best to work with your and your dog.
Dogs that bark incessantly will be removed from camp. Barking is a nuisance behavior, & it disturbs boarding cats & dogs, clinic clients, & our neighbors.
While we do offer dogs the option of playing with other dogs, hanging out with a counselor, or just being off by themselves, older dogs, around eight years and older, often don't do well with our younger campers. They've had their puppy days and prefer being home with their people, in their comfortable territory. Our dogs grow up, and just like our kids, they outgrow experiences but keep memories. There may come a time when we believe your dog(s) has/have outgrown camp and that it's time to enjoy their golden years at home with you.
We regularly perform nail trims, grooming, and baths during our camp days. These are usually done over the noon break in camp so your dog is not pulled out during playtime. Other services such as exams, vaccines, heartworm, and fecal tests may be scheduled with a veterinarian during camp, if we have openings. Please call ahead for an appointment during camp. If you want to be present for the appointment, it can usually be scheduled for your normal pick up time. Food and medication refills can also be done during camp and picked up with your dog. Please call ahead for any refills.
Doggie Day Camp Pricing*
|Additional Dog (same family)||$24.36/day|
|Full Day—2 Dogs||$59.16|
|5 Day Card||$154.12 ($30.82/day)|
|5 Day Card—2 Dogs||$273.93 ($54.78/day)|
|10 Day Card||$281.89 ($28.18/day)|
|10 Day Card—2 Dogs||$517.04 ($51.40/day)|
|20 Day Card||$532.46 ($26.62/day)|
|20 Day Card—2 Dogs||$991.83 ($49.59/day)|
|50 Day Card||$1,200.64 ($24.01/day)|
|50 Day Card—2 Dogs||$2,296.88 ($20.38/day)|
|First Day/Evaluation||$20.38 (FREE for clinic clients)|
* ALL PRICES PLUS TAX
Camp cards can be used as full or half days.